Thursday, July 5, 2012

Simple Pleasures I Have Found Living in Boulder and Other Things I Have Been Up To


There are many simple pleasures I have discovered that I love about my life out here in Boulder. One is riding my bike to the farmers’ market every Saturday morning. I attach my wicker basket to the front of my bike and pedal, slightly uphill, along the bike path for about 8 minutes. I buy whatever I need, put it in my basket and enjoy the ride downhill home.

Another simple pleasure is being able to bike downtown to Pearl Street. It’s so nice to be able to hop on my bike and 10 minutes later be around lots of people, street performers, coffee shops, and restaurants. This past Sunday I felt like searching for used (aka cheap) books. I spent a few hours at Trident Booksellers and CafĂ© browsing and reading, then moved on to Boulder Bookstore, which has a lot bigger selection of books and browsed there for awhile. I just love being able to have no obligations and spend my day without having to keep track of time.

On Saturday Elisabeth came over and we made crepes, which we took on a picnic to downtown Denver where they were showing Forrest Gump (for free) in a small park. I found it quite amusing to be making crepes with a French person! After watching her flip the crepes in the air, I thought I would try and amazingly I was able to do it! Alex, whom I met at the Couch Crash and just moved to Boulder from Ohio, joined us for the movie.

Sunday afternoon I walked to 29th Street Mall, which is a few blocks from my apartment. It is a really nice area and they have a lot of chain stores, such as Anthropologie and White House Black Market, as well as a movie theater. It reminded me of Greenway Station in Middleton, WI, but smaller. They also have a Nordstrom Rack, which may be my new weakness…

Yesterday for the 4th of July, Alex, Brandon, and I spent a few hours at the creek. Since it was a holiday there were hundreds of people, but we found a spot on some rocks next to a waterfall and had a great time talking and watching people on tubes. We then stopped at the farmers’ market, which was my first time going on a Wednesday. It had about a dozen less vendors than the one on Saturday and less people. For dinner, my roommate invited us to have Korean BBQ with some of her friends. It was a great experience, as I had never had Korean BBQ before. After, we went to Broomfield to watch fireworks. We found a place to park in a vacant lot where there were a lot of other cars, and about two minutes after we got there they started. I was quite impressed with the show, which lasted over 30 minutes. Boulder had cancelled their fireworks shortly after the Flagstaff Fire started. They were supposed to be set off at the stadium, which is a block from my apartment, so it would have been really cool to see them. 



Right now I am at Espresso Roma on the Hill, which is the last coffee shop in Boulder to visit as part of my “Boulder Bucket List.” My favorite part about this one: cheap drinks! However, one of the baristas sounds like she is drunk or high. I rode my bike here and walked in quite sweaty since the last part of the ride is up a hill. I’m not sure I will be biking to the Hill anymore…

Observations:
1. The majority of people here have Macs. Up until a few days ago I think I had only seen one PC.
2. There aren’t many Black people. This was pointed out to me by someone a week and a half ago, who told me that when he sees one he feels compelled to give him or her a high-five. I was expecting Boulder to be more diverse…
3. There are a lot of Latinos. When I was at the creek for 4th of July they were the majority!
4. I hardly drive my car. I suppose I take it out once a day and the only reasons I drive it somewhere else in Boulder are to either run errands or go to my gym (which is in what is considered North Boulder, but really only like 10 minutes from downtown).

1 comment: