Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Boulder Couch Crash and the Flagstaff Fire


The last few days have been so much fun and full of memories! The Boulder Couch Crash festivities kicked off Friday night at a bar called The Dark Horse. I talked to a lot of people, some from the Boulder area and others from places like Omaha, Minneapolis, Iowa City, and the Netherlands. I love going to things like this – where most people don’t know each other, but all love to travel and can talk for hours. Unfortunately my time was cut short since I’m not 21…

Saturday after going to the Farmers’ Market, everyone part of the Couch Crash got together then broke out into groups to do various activities. I decided to go on a brewery tour of Boulder Beer. Even though I can’t drink beer legally in the US, I do love it. Naturally, I was the only one who couldn’t drink and didn’t fully understand what the adorable British boy who was giving the tour was talking about. Probably because I was too caught up in his lovely accent. After reconvening we again broke out to do different activities. I went to the Dushanbe Tea House, which was given to the city of Boulder by their sister city Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The interior is so beautiful and there are so many different tea drinks on the menu.

For dinner I met some people at H Burger, which had just opened a location in Boulder a few weeks before. Later that night I met my friend Elisabeth downtown and we walked on Pearl Street and came across a street performer I call “the zip code guy.” People would give him their zip code and he could place them on a map and tell them the exact town they were from. He knew towns I had never heard of and even knew the zip codes of towns in foreign countries. We then met a friend of Elisabeth’s who brought some of her friends and we all went to Sushi Zanmai, which has karaoke 10pm to midnight on Saturdays. Even though none of us sang, the atmosphere was really fun and I had a great time.

Sunday morning I woke up not feeling well, probably from the raw tuna I ate the night before. I just hung around the apartment all day since I didn’t feel that great, but I did go out that night to the weekly Boulder Couch Surfing Mixer. There were a lot more people this week since some were still there from the Couch Crash. At about 11pm some of us wanted to go somewhere else, so we went to this place called The Yellow Deli. It is owned by a cult that lives together outside of Boulder and operates this place 24 hours a day, but closes Friday at 3pm and reopens at noon on Sunday. They actually have several locations in North America.

Monday was my first day working at the Historic Boulder office and actually planning the tour of Gold Hill. I think it is going well so far! I’m meeting so many people that I’m starting to accidently run into people I know! For my lunch break I stopped in a place called Atlas Purveyors and saw my friend Andrew, whom I had met over the weekend and lives in Boulder.

That evening I went on a hike with Jordan and Brandon, two guys I had met at the Couch Crash. We went on a three-hour hike to Royal Arch in Chautauqua Park, which was so pretty and had amazing views. We were there at a great time of day – right after the sun had set. On the way we passed two people climbing up a Flatiron with no ropes or anything! I was so scared for them, but they were clearly experience. Still, just watching them made me nervous and didn’t want to watch incase they fell! When we left Royal Arch, we somehow got on the wrong trail and wasn’t on an “official trail.” It was a little scary and some parts were pretty steep. I was actually so afraid that my body was shaking for part of it. Looking back, it was probably better that we took that way because I think it would have been a lot steeper and for a lot longer if we had taken the way we came. After being on that little trail, having no clue where it was taking us besides down (which was good), it joined up with a bigger trail and eventually we found a map of where we were. At that point it was dark and kind of hard to see, but luckily it was pretty easy the rest of the way back. Once we got back Jordan and I went to The Sink, since it is probably the most famous restaurant in Boulder and he was leaving the next day.




Yesterday, when I was leaving my internship around 2:45pm I could see smoke coming from the mountains even though I was over 20 miles east and a little south of Boulder. When I had gone to lunch about 3.5 hours earlier there was no smoke. This was the first time I had seen smoke so I immediately called my mom to see if she could find anything online about a new fire, but she could not. As I was getting closer to my apartment, I just kept saying “Oh my God.” Once I got to South Boulder, it looked like the smoke was coming from right on the other side of mountain. I soon found out it was started by lightning from a brief storm a few hours before and fire did have a name (I don’t remember what it was originally), but as it grew it became the Flagstaff Fire. Flagstaff is the name of the mountain from which I saw the smoke coming from and the mountain I drove up one of my first days here. I decided to stay inside my apartment the rest of the day and was constantly checking Twitter and news websites for any updates. At one point I saw they where not letting anyone past a point that was only about 2 miles from my apartment and there was a pre-evacuation notice for neighborhoods near me. Me being a newbie to forest fires and overly cautious decided to get my most important stuff together incase I needed to leave. My wonderful boss, Dawn, even called to tell me I could come stay at her house 30 minutes away if I needed to. At one point I went outside to take out the trash and it smelled like I was standing next to a campfire. After a few hours of no change I decided I wanted to go to sleep, but before I did I signed up for evacuation text alerts and kept my phone on loud all night.

This morning I was glad to wake up and find that the fire hadn’t gotten any closer to the city. Unfortunately, the fire by Colorado Springs is getting a lot worse and has resulted in thousands of people having to evacuate. It rained in Boulder a little today (I did see some lightning though), but COLORADO NEEDS RAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment