Sunday, July 22, 2012

Marking Things Off My "Boulder Bucket List" As My Time Winds Down


As my departure nears, I get sadder and sadder. I will surely miss the friends I have made here and will most definitely be going through mountain withdrawals. In one of my first posts from Colorado I mentioned I have a “Boulder Bucket List.” It has been a good way to come up with ideas of things to do, but lately I have been feeling pressure to get everything done. Luckily, I do think I can get everything done, but I know that if I don’t I will be returning!

Last Monday evening, Elisabeth, Alex, and I were supposed to go to an outdoor concert and have a picnic (something on my bucket list). However, it was cancelled due to the rain, so we just had a movie night at my apartment.

After discovering that Andrew and I both golf, we decided to play 9 holes Tuesday evening at the city course in Boulder. I played amazingly well and got a 50 despite usually only playing 18-36 holes per year. Andrew played in high school, but hasn’t really played much since then and finished with a 47 (we were tied for like 4 holes though!). Fun fact: Andrew has been struck by lightning 3 times (not directly of course) and one time was during a golf tournament in high school!

On Wednesday Elisabeth and I took a day trip into the mountains. Just outside of Boulder we visited a waterfall, which was really pretty. We stopped in Nederland where they have a carousel and embraced our inner child and went for a ride. We were going to go hiking at Mud Lake, but didn’t see a sign/the turn and kept driving. I saw a sign for Gold Hill and decided to go there and show Elisabeth the town. She thought it was so cool and was glad we made a detour to go there. Luckily on our way back we did find Mud Lake. The trails were short and easy but the views were fantastic. It got so cold (mid to upper 60s) that I had to put on a sweatshirt!






Unfortunately the weather has not been that cool in Boulder and the last few days have been so hot that I haven’t spent much time outside. Friday morning I walked around the Mapleton Historic District, which is a few blocks north of Pearl Street, to look at the houses (another thing to mark of my bucket list). For lunch I went to Illegal Pete’s, a cheap Mexican place on Pearl Street. After work I met Elisabeth for coffee at Trident Booksellers and CafĂ©. That night I met some people from the Boulder CouchSurfing group downtown, who wanted to do a bar crawl. As I mentioned in my last post, there aren’t many place someone under 21 can get into downtown. Thankfully I wasn’t the only one under 21 since Alex was with us and everyone else in the group tried to accommodate us. First we went to Old Chicago, then Mountain Sun Pub and Brewery, where surprisingly you don’t have to be 21 to get in! After walking down Pearl looking for another place Alex and I could get in and determining there wasn’t one the two of us decided to not hold everyone else back, so we left.

Yesterday morning I went to the farmers’ market, then decided to read in front of my fan the rest of the day since it was too hot to do anything outside. That night I met Elisabeth for an outdoor movie in a parking lot behind the Boulder Contemporary Museum of Art. Earlier in the day she had met some French people who were also going to the movie so we sat with them. I’m not used to being with people in America who speak a different language! But French sounds so beautiful that I didn’t care. The movie was Back to the Future, which somehow I had not seen before. The audience really got into it and would cheer at major parts. This was something else on my buck list – I have really been on a roll!

This upcoming week I have a few day trips planned, which I am really excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment