Friday, June 22, 2012

Tubing Boulder Creek, Downtown Denver, and Gold Hill


This past week has been lots of fun, trying new things and seeing new places! But first off, I am happy to announce I have a job volunteering for Historic Boulder as an event coordinator!!! There will be a few events I will help to plan in the upcoming months, but unfortunately I will not be here to attend any. Even though this means I do not have a paying job this summer, I am sure this volunteer job will look better on my resume than any job I could get would.

Last Sunday I went tubing on the Boulder Creek (apparently a must do in Boulder during the summer) with Katie and Megan, who I met a few days before, and their friends. The tubes were the inside of semi truck tires that are for sale at a gas station in Boulder. I had a lot of fun, but there was one part that was a little scary… So there are little waterfalls you go down on the tube and some are bigger than others. After going down several smaller ones with no problem, there was a bigger one I thought I could go down. The boys with us decided to skip it, but us girls went for it. I was the first one and fell off my tube. The water was going really fast and there were a lot of rocks, so the water carried me down the creek about 30 yards before I could stop (and the creek is pretty shallow!). I was so scared I was going to get my foot caught in the rocks on the bottom, but I only ended up with a few small bruises on my feet and shins. Luckily Katie and Megan didn’t fall, so they were able to catch my tube that was floating down the river without me. Overall, I’m glad I did it and I did have fun, but I don’t really feel the need to go through that again…

Sunday night was another CouchSurfing mixer and it was actually there that a guy, Nick, gave me the idea of looking for a volunteer job that involved event coordination. So Monday I looked online and pretty quickly I found that Historic Boulder was looking for an event coordinator! Later that day I attended a meeting with the executive director and some board members to discuss a walking tour of Gold Hill (more about it later) taking place in August.

Tuesday was my internship and Wednesday I went to downtown Denver. I went after rush hour and it only took me 30 minutes to get there. First, I went to the Denver Art Museum to see the Yves Saint Laurent, a haute couture fashion designer, exhibit. Katie and Megan had told me about it and since I appreciate fashion (I’m actually taking an intro to fashion merchandising class in the fall) I thought I would check it out. I absolutely loved it! I wish I could have taken pictures because everything was so beautiful. After looking at other parts of the museum, I walked over to 16th Street, which is a pedestrian mall 1.25 miles long. At first I really liked it. There were lots of restaurants and some stores, but it just started to feel kind of repetitive to me and all the Greenpeace and Planned Parenthood people trying to get me to listen to them and sign stuff got annoying. There were not really any interesting stores or stores with character, mostly places you would find in a mall (i.e. H&M, Express, Ross). There is a street off of 16th called Larimer St. that led to Larimer Square that I had heard was supposed to be cool and somewhat historic. I however did not find it cool or historic. There were a few restaurants that looked good, but other than that it was disappointing. I did have lunch at a place called The Market that is part coffee shop and part deli. It was average, not anything special.
That night, since it was the summer solstice, I thought I would go for a hike and try to see the sunset. Either I misjudged when the sun would set over the mountains, it was too cloudy, or both. I did get some cool shots of the mountains with the clouds, but I am determined to go hiking while watching the sunset!

Thursday I worked my internship from Boulder and spent some of the time at the Brewing Market near Pearl Street, where they have three different kinds of chai tea – regular, sweet, and spicy. That evening my new roommate, Yun, arrived. She is from New York City and just “graduated” from Cornell University, but is working on her masters thesis this summer in Boulder because she has to defend it in a few weeks to people who live and work in Boulder during the summer.

Today I went with some people from Historic Boulder up to Gold Hill, which is part of Boulder, but up an additional 3,000 feet and a 25-minute (gorgeous) drive from downtown. This was a popular place people came during the Gold Rush. One of the board members lives there, so he gave us a tour. He says if you took away the cars, it would look just like it did 100 years ago – there are no paved roads and most of the homes are log cabins. If you are ever visiting Boulder, I would suggest driving up there. The Gold Hill Store is a cafe that serves food every day (I think) 11am-4pm and The Gold Hill Inn serves a 3 or 6 course dinner every night except Tuesdays. Sundays are a popular night at the Gold Hill Inn as there is a band that plays and reservations are a must. The inside of the Gold Hill Inn is so quaint and authentic with wood floorboards, fireplaces and an overall old-time feel.


I am so beyond happy to have this job with Historic Boulder and am excited to be actually planning events. This weekend is the Boulder Couch Crash, where people from all over come to Boulder and there are events and such, so I will be participating in that. Here is the website if you want to learn more: http://bouldercouchcrash.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment