Thursday, December 8, 2011

Visiting the homes of Mark Twian (Samuel Clemens) and Harriet Beecher Stowe


Last Saturday Carol and I went down to Hartford to visit the Mark Twain House (really Samuel Clemens) as well as the house of Harriet Beecher Stowe, who wrote Uncle Tom’s Cabin. The houses are located next to each other, but each has its own visitor center where you buy tickets individually. Both houses were decorated for the holidays and the guides told us what this time of year would be like at the houses. I learned more from the tour of Stowe’s house, but I personally liked the Mark Twain House because it was more architecturally beautiful. If you are ever in the area I recommend you stop for both tours (the Mark Twain House is more popular) since these authors are so important in American literature. In between tours we had lunch at Tisane Coffee and Tea Bar, which is located a few minutes drive from the houses. They had a full lunch menu that was amazing and the best chai latte I have ever tasted.

That night Rob and Carol treated me to dinner in Northampton at Eastside Grill, which was very popular, but extremely delicious!

It has been unseasonably warm here lately – the last several days it has been in the 50s. Yesterday it rained all day, but I kind of wish it was snowing! Today has been colder and windy, and the next few days are supposed to be colder, but not enough to snow. This is my last weekend! Lots of studying for finals will be happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment