Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Weekend Off From Traveling (but I did go new places!)

After last week’s long post about my eventful trip to Vermont, this post will be much shorter because I decided to take a weekend off from traveling. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t visit new places! The midpoint in the semester is approaching so this weekend I was busy with papers and studying for exams.

On Saturday my friend Brittany, who I met through my roommate Kelley, took me to a small bakery in Russell, one town over from Westfield. The Bread Basket looked like a little log cabin house, where the front half had shelves with jams, canned fruit, and pastries, and the back half was a kitchen. They had homemade clam chowder, which we both got. I also bought a maple twist pastry that was amazing.

That night I went to Britney and Baylea’s apartment and we went to Friendly’s, which was my first time. Friendly’s restaurant is a very popular chain in the area, so it was place I had to eat at. They have good food for great prices and (for a limited time I believe) have $5 menu in addition to their regular menu. Friendly’s is known for their ice cream and I had a pumpkin pie sundae, which had pumpkin ice cream, piecrust chunks, marshmallow crème, and whipped cream – it was delicious!

On Sunday I visited Amherst (the “h” is silent I have learned), which was about a 45-minute drive. It is home to Amherst College and University of Massachusetts. It had a small downtown with a few stores and restaurants. I spent a few hours at Rao’s Coffee, which was very busy and at times had no open seats. I did not think this coffee shop was anything exceptional, but it did have an extensive selection of baked goods and sandwiches.

The leaves are at their peak where I live according to this website http://www.newenglandtimes.com/new-england-fall-foliage/ne-fall-foliage-tracker.shtml that I check almost daily. However, as I write this and look across the quad most of the trees are still green! This coming weekend I have two day trips planned and I am very excited to see more leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment